For kids and adults looking to escape the hot sun this summer, the YMCA of Greater Flint is a great place to cool off in one of our three pools or beautiful lake! There are a variety of programs that help swimmers learn water safety skills, develop confidence in and around the water and enjoy the benefits of water exercise.
We encourage kids and adults to have fun when in and around the water, but to always make safety their first priority. We recommend the following tips to keep safe around the water.
- Only swim when and where there is lifeguard on duty; never swim alone.
- Adults should constantly watch children in and near the water. If multiple adults are in the vicinity, designate a “water watcher” so everyone knows who is “on duty.”
- Inexperienced swimmers should take precaution and wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved personal floatation device when in, on or around the water.
- Children who are beginners should stay within arm’s reach of an adult in the water.
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings.
- Have a phone close by at all times.
- If a child is missing, check the pool first.
- Know CPR.
- Install barriers.
- Have lifesaving equipment nearby.