creating a sustainable future in the heart of flint for the next 100 years.
Welcome to a new future for the YMCA of Greater Flint, as we construct a new multi-use building on the corner of 3rd and Harrison St in Downtown Flint. The new Downtown YMCA will be a 50,000 square foot facility, part of the LiveWell on Harrison. This innovative partnerships sees the Y join with 50 units of apartments, Hurley Physical Therapy Clinic, and Crim Fitness Foundation, to create the new home of health and wellness in Flint. Watch as children learn. Families grow.
Our community thrives.
Coming January 2025
Join us below to discover more about this innovative project and how you can leave your legacy in the heart of Flint.
YMCA youth programs nurture children’s development by providing a safe place to learn foundation skills, develop healthy relationships, and build self-reliance.
- More children will experience learning activities and socialization in our new Kid Zone, while giving caregivers an opportunity to focus on their own health and wellness.
- School-age youth will enjoy a variety of enrichment programs at the newly opened Safe Places Afterschool space.
Membership at the Y means far more than joining a gym—it’s a movement to improve lives so all people may reach their potential.
- 900 more households will be engaged in our Y with 100% growth in membership within 3 years of opening the new facility.
- Members will have increased privacy and options for families with universal locker rooms and family-friendly facilities.
- A fully ADA-compliant facility designed to reduce accessibility barriers in the current facility.
At the Y, we have a commitment to serving those who need our services most.
- Social bonds, which benefit health, longevity, and civilized discourse, will be forged in our new social gathering spaces.
- Community groups and organizations will have a space to meet and hold blood drives, clinics, and learning sessions in our new community rooms.
- A sustainable facility will allow us to concentrate on offering more financial assistance and other mission-based programs.
- Increasing services including nutrition, chronic disease management and prevention programs, and caregiver support
- Expanding the aquatics center to a six-lane pool and splash pad
- A full child watch facility
- An indoor walking track
- 3 Fitness studios
- Expanded offerings for family recreation and youth sports
- Creating a fully ADA-accessible and energy-efficient building
We are so close!
We want to invite you to join us in investing in Flint’s future. With over 90% of funds raised, the finish line is now in sight to fully fund this transformational space! All donors over $1,000 will be recognized permanently in the facility and naming opportunities exist for spaces in the new YMCA. Pledges can be paid over 3 years. Click on the button to make a donation today or contact Senior Director of Fundraising, Pam Bailey at 810-232-9622 to discuss options for major gifts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where will the new YMCA be located?
Who else will be located in Harrison Street Commons?
We are excited to be welcoming a health partner as a tenet in the new Y. There will also be 50 units of apartments being built on the same block although our buildings will be separate. We are also working to confirm another partner. Stay tuned!
When will the new YMCA open?
What will happen to the current YMCA?
The current YMCA will be sold and the property used for future development.
Will my membership fees be used to pay for the new building?
Your membership fees will continue to pay for the operation of the current YMCA and will not be used to construct the new YMCA.
How much will the project cost?
How can I help build the new facility?
Mott Foundation grants $16.5 million to support a new YMCA and mixed-use space in downtown Flint… read more
An anonymous donor has donated $1 million to the YMCA as part of the new YMCA Capital Campaign… read more